Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Reflection by JM


The week long Fire Ecology Institute taught me an immense amount about not only wildfire, but wildfire in Colorado.  I gleaned concepts about WUI, fire preparedness, my homes fire danger, mitigation, recovery, succession in action, and much more.  I especially liked learning about these concepts out in the field with the professionals.  Being able to venture out into Waldo Canyon, Haymen, Stringer, and the other fires of the Colorado Springs/Manitu Springs area with our hard hats on and ready allowed me to see the concepts in action while learning what I can apply with my students learning.  I especially liked being able to conduct the water permeability lab in the field...what a great way to see the difference between the two types of soil and to then relate that to the flooding issues the many areas are experiences with rain storms.
Another thing I took away from the Institute was the many lesson plan ideas.  Especially the one my partner, Lynne Moser and I created.  I am excited to take it back to my school and my department to teach it a) to other staff members, but b) to my students. 

I am hoping to take my real life experiences from this institute to gain the interest of my staff and students, then turn around and hope to take them out into the field as well.  Great learning!

The only suggestion I can reflect upon for this institute is the overall organization of it.  Although I know there were many aspects of coordinating the field trips, speakers, and so on...it would have been wiser to do the lectures then field trips (it is hard to focus in the afternoon on a lecture after a 6-7 hour hiking morning).  I would have also grouped liked topics together on the days of their connected field trips...this would have broken the lectures up.

Thank you for a great trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment